Florida homeowners do not realize by not having a wind mitigation inspection, the savings they could be missing out on! These savings on some homes are large amounts of money that the policyholder may have been paying without realizing it. Having a Wind Mitigation completed on your home can save you this money and we strongly advise to have one done!. A wind mitigation inspection verifies construction methods that create wind mitigation discounts based on those methods providing greater protection from wind hurricane damage. The inspection usually takes less than an hour and the savings is based upon the type of construction methods and wind protection devices that the property offers.
- Shingles or other roof coverings that meet the Florida Building Code requirements.
- Roof decking that has been installed with larger nails or screws with closer spacing.
- Hurricane clips and/or straps that secure the roof structure to the supporting walls.
- Full or partial protection of windows and glass doors with impact resistant glazing or other protection methods.
- Secondary water resistance barrier that prevents the roof from leaking if the shingles are blown off in a windstorm.
Some roofing construction methods are determined by the following:
- Asphalt shingles or tile roof
- The approximate date of the roof installation
- If it meets FBC (Florida Building Code) standards
- What size nails were used and spacing of the nailing pattern,
- Wood or OSB roof sheathing and thickness
- Secondary water resistant, if any
- Roof shape.
Other areas that help with discounts are roof geometry. Hip style roofs are the best geometry due to the flow of wind over the design of the hip roof. Hurricane straps and clips will also help with the uplift of heavy winds.
Wind Mitigation Discounts
Wind Mitigation discounts are applied towards the windstorm portion of your total insurance premium. Depending on where you are located in Florida, the windstorm portion is between 15% and 70% of the total premium. Premium determination is very complex and actual dollar discounts are not calculated here. For exact quotes, you must contact your insurance agent or the individual insurance company in question.
The three main factors for wind mitigation discounts include:
- The number of wind resistive construction features present on your home
- The more wind resistive features you have, the higher the total discount will be for your property.
- The discounts can be as high as 30% or more of the wind portion of the insurance premium. Check with your Insurance agent for more details.
The location of your home – Discounted wind insurance rates are adjusted according to where your property is located within the state. If your wind insurance rates are high, then the percentage discounts will be greater for a condo or house in a high rate area versus the same condo or house in a lower rate area.
Wind mitigation discounts are justified because stronger, more wind-resistive houses have lower windstorm losses. Lower windstorm losses equal reduced costs to insurance companies that are then passed on to the consumer. Many homeowners have taken advantage of the insurance discount incentive and strengthened their existing home using the strongest options in the Florida Building Code. The discounted insurance rates in Florida apply to both existing construction and new construction built to the new statewide Florida Building Code (FBC).
Call Us Today at 561-799-0303 or Click here to Schedule Your Inspection!