1. Verify: You have a contractor in mind for some home improvement projects. Do the following to verify your contractor’s status:
2. Make sure the contractor has insurance and is bonded. Check city hall or the county building department. Employees may know the contractor’s status, or will know where to look.
3. Check for licensing. Once again the local building department may know the contractor’s license. Then again the information maybe stored at the state level. Most states have a licensing registry for contractors. You will be able to find the contractor’s licensing status through a state registry.
4. Check the state registry for any complaints. The Better Business Bureau may also have a record of complaints.
5. Check the “Contractor’s License Reference Site”. http://contractors-licensing.org/ This is a reference only site that allows you to determine what your state licensing requirements are, and where to go to validate a contractor’s license.